Elephant, rhino, iSimangaliso Wetland Park (The Greater St Lucia Wetland Park), Hluhluwe, iMfolozi, Tembe, Ndumu, Maputaland, Kosi Bay, Sodwana, whales and turtles are some of the terms associated with the Elephant Coast - an 'Ecotourism Mecca' of the Zulu Kingdom or South Africa's province of KwaZulu-Natal.
The camp is surrounded by the most beautiful beaches . NO camps / lodges are on/at the beach due to the Coastal Forrest Reserve - Heritage Coastline - the closest beach from the camp is 5km - the furthest around 17km - an amazing scenic drive ! The perfect excursion down to the beach!
Our beaches are probably the least developed in Southern Africa. They are bathed in the warm tropical Indian Ocean and the water is normally crystal clear. This is due to the lack of rivers flowing into the sea in the area.
These beaches are so remote that you will not find more than 100 people, in between Sodwana and Ponta de Ouro, along 80km of pristine coastline. From Sodwana in the south you will get the beaches in the following order: 9 Mile beach, Mabibi, Island Rock, Lalanek, Rocktail Bay, Black Rock, Dog Point, Castle Rock, Rabbit Rock and Bhanga Nek beach all in a row. Bhanganek is a dead end and then you have to travel south and inland across a small river before you can go to the Nortern side of Kosi Lakes system and the estuary where the lakes mouth into the Indian Ocean and Kosi Mouth as the most northern beach.
The Kosi mouth, where the lakes mouth into the Indian Ocean, is the only beach on the northern side of the lakes. Permits for this beach is limited and the demand is big so be prepared to be disappointed in peak season.
All the beaches from Sodwana in the South to Kosi Mouth below Mozambique in short :
- Sodwana (also known as Jesser Point) - Public boat launch site, many dive charters available, typical dive culture beach.
- 9 Mile beach - remote and difficult to reach.
- Mabibi - A very good snorkel beach. Mabibi Camp Site and Thonga Beach Lodge is situated here.
- Island Rock - Concession boat launch site. Rocktail Bay Beach Lodge is situated here.
- Lalanek- Very remote and good snorkel beach.
- Rocktail Bay - Luxury Lodge concession site for Rocktail Bay Lodge.
- Black Rock - The only unusual rocky beach. A small protected bay.
- Dog Point - Protected Beach.
- Castle Rock - Protected Beach.
- Rabbit Rock - Protected Beach.
- Bhanga Nek - Popular beach.
- Kosi Mouth - Very beautiful beach and estuary.
All these beaches are situated in the Parks Board Nature Reserve. A permit for entrance is issued by the Parks Board office just up the road from the camp. The beaches are within 8-20km from the camp and you have the most amazing and breathtaking scenic route to reach them.
Rhino Cards are accepted and is the best for use around all the beaches and Game Reserves. Cards can be applied for and issued by the office in Manzengwenya. Please visit the website for details regarding the Rhino Card – this card holds many advantages: www.kznwildlife.com (Ezemvelo KZN Wildlife)